Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Autumn in Adelaide


Just back from walking the dog and Adelaide truly is a great place to be in the autumn! The sun is out, the sky that clear, bright blue, the grass thick and green and wet with dew.... Don't think I ever took much notice of birds and birdsong when I was in England - perhaps it was because we didn't have a dog so I wasn't out walking in parks first thing in the morning, but this morning as the magpies yodelled in the trees, the galahs flew squeaking overhead, small lorakeets swooped like speedy spitfires, flashing orange, red, emerald green and blue feathers, and the grey heron stood patiently in the river shallows, I was struck anew with how lovely a place we live in. Autumn mornings, when you wear gloves and a scarf against the fresh morning air, but sunglasses are essential, are absolutely glorious here!


The recent dew-y mornings and a bit of rain over the weekend has softened the ground enough for a whole load of mushrooms to break their way up through the soil - some I'm sure are the normal field mushroom, the type you get in the supermarket, but I'm not brave enough to try them, whilst others are tall and thin, or spindly and yellow, or crusty-looking and mustardy in tone. Where before the grass was a smooth swathe, it now looks like it's broken out in a nasty case of acne!

Off to the opticians this morning for an eye test - have decided to take the plunge and look into laser surgery for my eyes - first step is to get an up to date prescription, then buy a cheap pair of glasses to wear in the five days leading up to my laser consultation, when I'm not allowed to wear my lenses... then the terrifying wait. Everyone I've spoken to who's had it done says it's the best thing they ever did, and I fall asleep so often in my contact lenses that I really feel I should get my eyes fixed before doing them serious damage, but I'm so damn scared!

No comments:

Post a Comment