Thursday, July 23, 2009

I can see - it's a miracle!

Well, had laser eye surgery today, and so far, so good!

Really thought I was going to come out of there with great padded dressings on both eyes, so expected to have to be guided home by the lovely friend that kindly drove me there and back. However, came out of there already able to see better than when I went in, and apart from some slight dryness in the eyes now (7 hours later) all is good!

After doing the paperwork and handing over the credit card, I was taken into a small room and talked through the eye drop routine, given a tamazepan to calm me down and make me feel a bit sleepy (it didn't!) then sat in a very comfy chair to wait my turn. Nice nurse came and took me into the surgery room, where I was kind of expecting to be given some sort of sedative, but no, just some anasthetic drops in the eyes, which stang (stinged? stung?) very slightly, laid down with head in a little hollow (I thought they might put some kind of keep-still brace on, but no, just the hollow), surgeon (opthalogist?) came in, chatted with him about last night's tv (an eye op, would you believe it?), he lined up the laser, made a little flap in the eye (I didn't feel a thing, just kept looking at the green light!), told me the laser would take 10 seconds, slight smell of burning, counted to 8, and all done! Moved on to next eye, repeated procedure, ten minutes later walked out of there, already seeing better!

My wonderful friend drove me home, four hours lying in bed with my eyes closed, woke up when the kids got home et voila! Can't believe it's been so easy - most painful part was the paying for it!

Still early days obviously, and must concentrate on putting drops in when due, and resisting urge to rub eyes at all but all being well, so far so good! Got to go without a shower for 72 hours though, so hope the deodorant is up to the challenge!

2 comments:

  1. hi diane, just took the time to read though your gossip column, very interesting, my wife had her eyes lasered about 2 years ago and she said it was the best thing she ever did, i cried at the time ( the price lol), but amanda doesnt have headache anymore and she feels 100% about having it done, weldone to you, we plan on moving to adelaide in hopefully 12-18 months, are papers are being processed now so im sure it going to be an uphill battle, but we are patient people, there's lots of things id like to ask you about adelaide and australia, but maybe another time if thats ok. many thanks Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary and Amanda - I can't believe I was so worried about it now, if I'd known it was all going to be this easy I'd have done it years ago, rather than spending a fortune on lenses! As you say, paying for it hurts a bit, and now I have loads of lenses with no use for them, but my eyes feel fantastic and - touch wood - as good as new!
    Feel free to ask anything, anytime!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete