Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Am I a bad parent?

While OH was away recently on his family visit to the UK, I got chatting to the parent of one of DS's friends, and she mentioned that a series called TrueBlood had been made based on the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris.

Well, I've read the books: they're fairly light reading as far as vampire stuff goes, good characters, nothing too highbrow, and certainly not anything I'd hesitate to let my 14 year old daughter read. So I trot along to the video hire shop, ask if they have the series on DVD, get handed Series 1, Disk 1, and head home for some escapism viewing.

What I didn't do (and should have, I guess!) is check the rating. After sitting down with 12 year old son and 14 year old daughter to watch the first disk, I could quite easily see how this series was given an R18+ rating!! Not being greatly into censorship, and believing that actually violence is more damaging than nudity and sex scenes, I didn't leap up and turn off the TV; in fact the three of us had a good laugh about some of the graphic "vamp sex" scenes, and I discovered that my 12 year old son probably already knows an awful lot more than I'd have guessed!!


Anyway, once we'd watched the first three episodes on Disk 1, it seemed silly not to watch the rest, so we've now watched all of the first series! Does that make me a really bad mother? I'm actually really adamant that DS can't play Grand Theft Auto on his Playstation, and that's because having seen a bit of it, I felt the whole tone was crass and abusive of women, whereas apart from the sex scenes, Trueblood actually has a fairly high moral level, with strong female and male role models. On the violence front, there's a fair bit of blood spattering around at times, but I think the whole vampire angle makes it less realistic, and certainly it's not glorified in any way (like it seems to be on GTA from what I've seen).

DS's school have just sent home a note saying they're doing some sex education in the coming weeks for Years 6 and 7 - (although I've been told adamantly I have to refer to it as Growth and Development, not sex ed!) - I kind of think it's a bit late! Show 'em all Trueblood, and discuss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment